Skip to Content

Marrow donor cheeck swabMarrow Donor Program

Every year, more than 30,000 children and adults in the United States are diagnosed with life threatening blood diseases, such as leukemia. For many of these patients, a marrow or stem cell transplant is the only chance for a cure. A transplant is possible only when the patient and donor have matching tissue types. While nearly 30% of patients in need will find a matched donor within their immediate family, the other 70% must search for an unrelated donor.

Patients searching for a match have exhausted all types of treatment and now need a transplant to survive. Their family members have already been tested and time is running out. They are your friends, co-workers, neighbors, parents, spouses and children.

The Rutland Regional Marrow Donor Program conducts bone marrow testing to add potential donors to the National Be The Match Registry®. Adding new donors gives hope to thousands of patients who need to go outside their family for a matching donor.

Since 1998, over 7000 Vermonters have joined the registry, 33 have been called for more testing and 21 have become donors. Our goal is to continue our mission and give those needing a bone marrow transplant a second chance at life.

There is no cost to the donor and no one is turned away for lack of funding. Volunteer donors must be between ages 18 and 44, in good general health, and be willing to donate marrow to anyone searching the National Registry.

Convenient Testing

Testing is offered at your convenience – without waiting for a drive in your area. If you are interested in being a donor we will send you the health screening and consent form, along with information about the procedure and our program. When you have read the information and completely filled out the form, you can call to schedule a time to do your cheek swab. The procedure takes approximately 10 minutes. You will then be placed on the Be The Match Registry.

If you are interested in participating and becoming a potential donor or sponsor, please call:

  • Kerry Ellis, 802.747.8667
  • Linda McKenna, 802.747.1831
  • Jennifer St. Peter, 401.714.6240

Joining Online

Want to join the Be The Match® Marrow Registry but can't make it to a drive. We have online drives always running!

Click here to join the Bone Marrow Registry online. Click on the Join Now button and fill out the consent form. You will be sent a swab kit in the mail with all the instructions on how to do the swabs and mail them back. At one point during the process, you will be asked for a Promo Code. The Rutland code is RRMC. This will ensure that your testing is billed to our program and not to you.

2016 Marrow Donor Registry Drive Dates

View the complete listing of Rutland Regional's upcoming Marrow Donor Registry Drive dates. Patients need YOU!

Follow the Marrow Donor Program at Rutland Regional on our Facebook page!

Find Out More

Learn more about Rutland Regional’s Marrow Donor Program. 

  • Call or email Kerry Ellis: 802.747.8667
  • Call or email Jennifer St. Peter at 401.714.6240

For more information on the National Marrow Donor Program, visit their website

Interested in Running a Marrow Donor Drive?

Fill out this Request for a Drive Form to get started.

Rutland Regional Medical Center
160 Allen Street
Rutland, VT 05701

Facebook YouTube LinkedIn Twitter