Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
If you are struggling with chronic pain, or the effects of a chronic condition or injury, our team can help. We specialize in helping patients alleviate pain and regain normal function through a variety of non-surgical methods. Our physicians and staff work closely and collaboratively with the specialists at the Vermont Orthopaedic Clinic.
Why Rutland Regional?
Our caring, skilled physiatrists (physical rehabilitation physicians) and staff work hard to help you regain control and strength after life-altering events. We offer:
- A wide variety of conservative treatment methods, from therapeutic exercise to OMT to interventional injections. The focus is on the development of a comprehensive program without surgery.
- Individualized care with an emphasis on shared decision making.
- Acupuncture and OMT (Osteopathic Manipulative Therapy) as complimentary methods of pain relief, performed by one of our physicians who is a certified acupuncturist and osteopathic physician.
- Shared medical appointments, bringing together patients suffering from similar conditions for group treatment. This reduces wait times, provides easier access to care and results in more time spent understanding your problem and finding a solution.
- Chronic Pain, including Musculoskeletal & Spinal Pain
- Traumatic Brain Injuries/Concussions
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Orthopaedic Injuries
- Neurologic Injuries Including Multiple Sclerosis, Stroke, Neuropathy
- Epidural Steroid Injections in All Spinal Regions
- Trigger Point, Joint and Peripheral Joint Injections
- Facet Joint Injections, Medial Branch Blockade and Spinal Radiofrequency Ablation
- Sacroiliac Joint Injection and Radiofrequency Ablation
- Osteopathic Manipulation Therapy (OMT)
- Therapeutic Exercise
- Use of Assistive Devices or Adaptive Equipment
- Custom Fitted Orthotics
- Prosthetic Prescription
The Role of A Physiatrist in Your Treatment
Our physiatrists (rehabilitation physicians) are medical doctors who have completed training in the medical specialty of physical medicine and rehabilitation (PM&R). They are nerve, muscle and bone experts who treat injuries or illnesses that affect how you move. Specifically, rehabilitation physicians:
- Diagnose and Treat Pain
- Restore Maximum Function Lost through Injury, Illness or Disabling Conditions
- Treat the Whole Person, Not Just the Problem Area
- Lead a Team of Medical Professionals including Nurses and Therapists
- Provide Non-Surgical Treatments
- Explain Your Medical Problems and Treatment/Prevention Plan