After Baby Is Born
Rutland Regional Medical Center provides newborns, mothers and their families with the care, support and education needed at this very special time of life. We are committed to promoting strong family ties and offering comprehensive post-natal care. Our services are provided by board-certified pediatricians and registered nurses. Services include:
- Newborn Testing. Infants are screened for 29 different health conditions that could lead to serious health problems or developmental delays if not diagnosed and treated early, including cystic fibrosis, hearing loss and Maple Syrup Urine Disease.
- Parent Education. From knowing what to expect to hands-on, how-to instructions on how to bathe, diaper, feed, and care for your baby.
- Breastfeeding Support. Nurses have had special training to work with new mothers who choose to breastfeed. They provide instruction, encouragement, as well as referrals to community resources like the LaLeche League. Visiting Nurse Association referrals are also available.
- Nursery. Moms and babies are encouraged to room together. A nursery is available should your baby require special care.
- Online Nursery. A professional photographer comes to the hospital to take photographs of the newborn baby and the family in the privacy of their room. This is optional and the service has a variety of packages for every budget.
Parents should prepare for discharge by purchasing a car seat and having it properly installed in their car prior to the birth. There are local resources to assist with this. Regional Ambulance Service holds child car seat installation demonstrations and inspections every Thursday afternoon. Please call 802.773.1746 for more information.