Varicose Vein Treatment
If you have varicose veins, you know how unsightly and uncomfortable they can be. And even though they are not considered to be a serious medical condition, they can affect your confidence and self-esteem.
Varicose veins can also sometimes lead to other medical problems, including:
- Skin discoloration
- Leg sores or ulcers that do not heal
- Long-term mild swelling
- Increased risk of developing blood clots
- A heavy, aching or burning sensation in your legs
Our surgeons offer the latest and most effective varicose vein treatments including:
- Microphlebectomy. A procedure during which varicose veins are removed through 2-millimeter incisions in the skin.
- Radiofrequency ablation (RFA). A minimally invasive procedure that uses radiofrequency energy to close off varicose veins. Our surgeons are the region’s only providers who offer RFA.
- Laser treatment. A minimally invasive procedure that uses a laser to destroy and close off varicose veins.
- Hybrid procedures. A combination of traditional treatment approaches and minimally invasive techniques to maximize effectiveness and safety.
- Vein stripping. A traditional procedure to remove varicose veins.
Your surgeon will conduct a thorough evaluation of your symptoms and recommend a varicose vein treatment plan that suits your lifestyle and budget. Some insurance companies will cover varicose vein treatment if you are experiencing related symptoms or problems.
What to Expect
Depending on the type of varicose vein treatment you are having, you may be able to have the procedure performed in your surgeon’s office. Most varicose vein treatment procedures take one to two hours. Because each procedure is different, your surgeon will provide you with specific information before your procedure explaining how you should prepare and what you should expect.
After Your Procedure
In most cases, you will have a short recovery period. You will be able to walk following your treatment and may need to wear compression stockings for a week or more. Your surgeon may want to schedule a follow-up appointment to ensure that you are healing properly.
Most patients experience dramatic improvement in the appearance of varicose veins that is visible 1-2 weeks after the procedure. After five years, less than 15 percent of our patients experience any recurrence of varicose veins.