Be Smart. Don’t Start.
Vaping. Cloud chasing. Vooping. E-cigs. No matter what you call it, it’s all the same – bad for your health!
As a preteen or teenager, you are the target of the vaping industry. Candy flavored liquids, fun packaging, creative imaging and advertising are all designed to get your attention. The industry knows what they’re doing – targeting youth – and are hoping you don’t notice. But you're smarter than that!
Learn more about their tactics to reach the youth market>>>
Chances are, you’ve heard about it, been around it, tried it and/or know someone who vapes. Bottom line, it's bad for you. Educate yourself on the dangers of vaping and ways to help. Below are some resources, videos, facts and helpful links. Be Smart. Don’t Start.
What is an E-Cig?
E-cigarettes are battery-powered devices that heat a liquid (often called e-juice or e-liquid) that typically contain nicotine and other harmful chemicals. This produces a vapor which is inhaled deep into the lungs and has harmful side effects.
What’s In It?
First, let’s be clear: E-cigs do not deliver harmless water vapor! Many e-liquids or e-juices come in fruit flavors designed to be appealing to kids. These liquids contain heavy metals such as lead and cadmium as well as chemicals such as formaldehyde (known to cause cancer) and acrolein, which is used as a weed killer and can cause irreversible lung damage. In total, more than 50 chemicals and metals make up the dangerous soup in e-liquids.
Harmful Effects of E-Cigs
Some of the chemicals that flavor e-cigarettes are harmful when they are inhaled. Below are just a few of the side effects we know about:
- Highly addictive: Virtually all e-cigs contain nicotine (even the ones labeled “nicotine-free”) which is highly addictive, and can harm your brain development.
- Breathing problems: Harmful chemicals are inhaled deep into the lungs. These ultrafine particles are linked to serious lung disease, such as popcorn lung and asthma.
- Losing your smile: Studies have found that the vapors in e-cigs can damage your mouth, gums and teeth.
- Short-term effects: These include irritation of lungs, throat and eyes and it can also make you more likely to catch colds or get the flu.
- Impacting those around you: The “second-hand smoke” from e-cigs contain nicotine and ultrafine particles that can be inhaled by others nearby
- Increased traditional cigarette use: Youth who use e-cigarettes are more likely to go on to use traditional cigarettes, again, highly addictive, harmful and expensive.
Help spread the word!
Share our messaging on any one of your social media platforms such as Facebook, SnapChat, or Instagram. You can make a difference, RIGHT NOW! Thank you.
Vaping in the Bathroom
Don't be a Follower
More YouTube Videos:
What's in a Vape: Favoring & Poison>>>
Dangers of E-Cigs>>>
Thanks for visiting this site and taking charge of your health. If you are vaping, you are not alone and there is help! You’ve got this!
1-800-LUNGUSA or www.lung.org