- Year began practicing:
- Year joined staff:
- Year began practicing in specialty:
- Hand Surgery
Areas of Interest
Wrist and hand surgery, elbow surgery, upper extremity trauma
- Dartmouth College, Masters of Public Health
- Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, Doctor of Medicine
- Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, General Surgery
- Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, Orthopaedic Surgery
- Columbia Orthopedics, Research Fellow in Orthopaedic Surgery
- New York University Medical Center, Hand Surgery
Dr. John Karl is a new addition to the Vermont Orthopaedic Clinic team, joining the group in 2018. He specializes in hand and upper extremity surgery, including chronic and degenerative disorders of the hand, wrist, and elbow, nerve entrapments, wrist and elbow arthroscopy, microsurgical repair of vessels and nerves, and upper extremity fracture and trauma care.
Dr. Karl graduated from Dartmouth College in 2004 and later earned a Master’s of Public Health from the Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice at Dartmouth Medical School in 2006. He received his Medical Doctorate from the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons in 2011. He stayed at Columbia for his residency in Orthopedic Surgery, including a year of research in hand surgery and general orthopedic trauma, finishing in 2017 and took his fellowship training in Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery at the NYU-Langone Orthopedic Hospital the following year.
He lives with his wife in Killington where they enjoy skiing, hiking, running, climbing and road and mountain biking.
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
American Society of Surgery of the Hand
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Board Eligible