Skip to Content

Marrow Donor Program

marrow donor swab kit

Each year more than 30,000 adults and children in the United States are diagnosed with life-threatening blood diseases, such as leukemia. For many patients, a bone marrow or stem cell transplant is needed to survive. Time is running out.

A transplant is possible only when the patient and donor have matching tissue types. While nearly 30 percent of patients in need will find a matched donor within their immediate family, the other 70 percent must seek the help of friends or strangers – people like you.

Become a Donor

By donating bone marrow, you could save the life of someone in need. There is no cost to be a donor, and you’re not turned away for lack of funding. Testing is offered at your convenience.

Since 1998, more than 10,000 Vermonters have joined the registry. Over 50 have been called for more testing, and over 40 have become donors. Our goal is to continue linking donors with patients, giving those needing a bone marrow transplant a second chance at life.

Marrow Donor Drives

Want to join the Be The Match® Marrow Registry but can't make it to a drive? Online drives are always available.

You can also operate a marrow donor drive in your community. Complete our Request for a Drive form [PDF] today for more information.

About Our Donor Program

The Rutland Regional Marrow Donor Program conducts bone marrow testing to add potential donors to the national Be The Match Registry®. Adding new donors gives hope to thousands of patients who need to go outside of their family for a life-saving donor.

Join Online

Join the national marrow registry online and complete the consent form. You’ll soon be sent a swab kit by mail with instructions on taking a test to identify your tissue type and returning the kit by mail.

During the process, you’ll be asked for a promo code – the Rutland code is RRMC. This ensures your testing is billed to our program and not to you.

RUTLAND REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER160 Allen Street, Rutland, VT 05701802.775.7111

© 2022 Rutland Medical Center