If you or a loved one needs emergency care, the specialists at Rutland Regional Medical Center’s Emergency Department are available 24/7 to provide you with advanced care – close to home and as quickly as possible.
Our board-certified emergency physicians and specially trained emergency nurses quickly diagnose and treat a range of emergency conditions, from life-threatening heart attacks and strokes, to cuts and broken bones. All our emergency department nursing staff are certified in Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS), Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS), Basic Life Support (BLS) and Trauma Nursing Core Course (TNCC), as well as participating in Crisis Prevention Institute (CPI) Training. We also have a case manager and social worker available 7 days a week in order to better support the needs of our patients and align them with key services.
With an emphasis on patient care and satisfaction, our newly renovated department offers the community the most advanced emergency care in the area:
- 24/7 fast-track services to get patients treated and home as soon as possible
- 26 patient beds, each equipped with cardiac monitors
- 6 safe therapeutic spaces/beds for patients experiencing mental health crisis
- 8 unique hallway beds designed to support surge and improve patient flow
- Enhanced security for staff and patients
- Streamlined staff communications system that improves patient care and reduces disturbing or distracting noise
- Pharmacist workstation to aid staff and physicians with critical and time-sensitive medication decisions
- State of the art bedside ultrasound to gain IV access and perform critical FAST exams for trauma patients
Our focus on managing the flow of our patients — balancing need with available services — has resulted in little or no waiting time for a majority of patients. Our emergency department is proud to boast patient satisfaction levels of 90% or above.
Specialized Emergency Services
- Priority access to Rutland Regional’s laboratory and diagnostic imaging services – including CT scans, X-rays and MRIs
- General surgeons on 24/7 call should you need expert surgical care
- Stabilization and transfer services to a partner hospitals for severe trauma or complex surgery
Additionally, through our affiliation with Vermont Orthopaedic Clinic, we offer world-class orthopaedic emergency care, at the hospital and at the ski slope.
A Safe & Secure Space for Mental Health Emergency Patients
To meet a growing need in our community, Rutland Regional’s emergency department has five dedicated and discreet private psychiatric crisis beds. The rooms are designed with windows to provide natural light for patients who require an extended stay. The behavioral health area is designed to be safe and secure for both behavioral health patients and other emergency room patients and visitors.
If you need to be admitted to Rutland Regional for additional treatment, your transfer to the Intensive Care Unit, Progressive Care Unit, or Medical floor will be as smooth and comfortable as possible.