Pulmonary & Respiratory Health
Pulmonary and respiratory conditions can significantly affect your ability to lead a normal, active life. Rutland Regional’s Pulmonary Center offers a range of outpatient and inpatient services – including diagnostic testing, treatment, disease management, rehabilitation and education – to help you breathe easier.
Our staff is specially trained to offer the best pulmonary and respiratory care for conditions such as asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) – and we do it all in a warm and supportive environment.
Our Pulmonary Lab, which is supervised by board-certified pulmonologists and staffed by registered respiratory therapists and pulmonary function technologists, offers state-of-the-art diagnostic testing for pulmonary disease and asthma. We use proven testing methods to quickly and accurately diagnose your condition, including:
Pulmonary Function Tests (PFT)
PFTs are a group of tests that measure your lung function and diagnose and treat a range of respiratory conditions. PFTs can be used to determine whether your lung disease is progressing and how you are responding to treatment.
A methacholine challenge is a lung function test that is used to determine whether cough, wheezing, shortness of breath or chest tightness is caused by asthma. You must undergo a baseline PFT before a methacholine challenge can be ordered.
If you are suffering from chronic pulmonary disease, our pulmonary rehabilitation program can help you control, reduce and alleviate your symptoms. Our specially designed eight-week program focuses on using exercise and education to help you meet your personal goals, which may include:
- Improved quality of life
- Increased exercise tolerance
- Greater independence in the activities of daily living
- Decreased use of medical resources
We also perform COPD assessments to determine the state of your disease and provide education and support on a range of related issues, including:
- Smoking cessation
- Supplemental oxygen requirements
- Sleep-related breathing disorders
- Prevention, management and progression of COPD
- Medication management
- Appropriateness of pulmonary rehabilitation
Inpatient Respiratory Therapy
If you are admitted to the hospital, our expert respiratory therapists are available 24/7 to provide assistance with your breathing. We treat patients of all ages and provide comprehensive care for conditions such as COPD, asthma and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV).
Our respiratory therapists provide round-the-clock care for patients in the Ventilator Unit at The Pines at Rutland nursing home with the goal of decreasing dependence on mechanical ventilation whenever possible.
Pulmonary services require a referral from your physician and are covered by most insurance plans, including Medicare.
Our Pulmonary & Respiratory Health Team
Rutland Regional’s Pulmonary and Respiratory Health team will develop a personalized plan to improve your quality of life and help you breathe better. Our team includes:
- Pulmonologists. Our board-certified pulmonologists specialize in the treatment of common and complex lung conditions and diseases.
- Respiratory therapists. Our registered respiratory therapists treat patients of all ages who have trouble breathing. They provide testing, rehabilitation and education for a variety of pulmonary conditions. They may have additional certification as pulmonary function technologists.